Thursday, April 24, 2014

Gratitude - A share cab driver


On another day to work, I happened to sit next to the share cab driver and happened to be pulled into a conversation.  One of the passengers, a student got down near ATM. The driver was saying - “These students are from XXX college[a reputed and posh institution].  These students are dependent on their parents for money. If there is a delay in sending the money, these students literally struggle. There were times  whensome of the students, before getting into this cab ask me  -‘Anna, I need to go to college. I have only 7 rupees with me. You could drop me on the way for 7 rupees.’ I feel pity for them. Only help I could do for them is to  drop them at the college and  refuse from them. I tell them  to pay me  when they see me any time on the route.  But they insist that I take the  7 rupees.
I must also say that when they get the money,  they spend very lavishly. Sometimes, they hire me for a trip to Pondicherry and they pay me 4000 rupees for it. They have good time and also take care of my food and lodging.  How could I repay them for the good things I have enjoyed? This is my only way of expressing my gratitude. It may not be same people, but nevertheless I need to repay for the good things I enjoyed. This is my small way of doing it. What you do say Sir? “
 
A person like this  cab driver for whom every rupees counts for his day’s meal,  yet willing to repay  the gratitude in his own small way  - Is definitely an Angel!

No comments:

Post a Comment